Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Chana Masala



I absolutely love Indian food, and while I am lucky to have a great Indian restaurant right down the road from me, its fun to prepare a dish on my own sometimes.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 large onion, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
1.5 cups crushed tomatoes
2 cans of chick peas (drained and rinsed)
1/2 jalapeƱo pepper (seeded and diced)
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro (if you like it...I dont and usually leave it off, but that's me)

Instructions:
Heat the oil in a large pan on high. Fry the cumin seeds for about 30 seconds until they start popping in the pan. Add the onions and cook until they begin to caramelize, then add the garlic and cook for about another minute.

Add all of the other ingredients save for the cilantro and cook on medium-low to low heat for about 10 minutes. If you like cilantro, stir this in last. Delightful!

No comments: