Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sour Cream Coffee Cake

One of my friends invited the whole gang over on Saturday night, so I decided to throw together a quick coffee cake to enjoy with coffee/tea and conversation. I love how easy this recipe is and how totally decadent it comes out. It is easiest to use an 8" square or round pan, but you can also make this in a bundt pan or make coffee cake cupcakes. This recipe is super moist because of the soy sour cream and comes out so beautifully.

Ingredients:

Cake
1.5 cups Bisquick
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons softened vegan margarine
Egg replacer for 1 egg (1.5 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer and tablespoons warm water)
3/4 cup Tofutti sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla

Struesel topping
1/2 cup cup Bisquick
6 tablespoons sugar (I like to use a mix of dark and light brown)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3-4 tablespoons firm margarine

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the pan. Mix cake ingredients well and then spread in the pan or spoon into muffin tins. Mix the dry streusel ingredients, then cut in the margarine until crumbly. Spoon this mixture on top of the cake batter. Bake for about 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean, then allow to cool. I sometimes like to drizzle the cake with frosting (either store bought if I'm feeling lazy or confectioners sugar + margarine + a bit of soy milk + vanilla + lemon flavoring mixed in the kitchenaid until a drizzle-able consistency). This is amazing served warm or room temperature. I actually had the small piece that was leftover for breakfast this morning haha!

2 comments:

Alpa said...

this recipe looks really good and pretty easy... i'll def be trying this out :) you have a very nice blog by the way!

Lauren Turek said...

Thanks! I make this one when I need a quick dessert...its pretty decadent tasting :0) and no one ever knows I saved time by using the bisquick!